Monday, November 27, 2017

SYW Austrian Cuirassiers - Serbelloni

Getting a game on the table can re-energize a dormant project.  Having boxes of painted figures already, SYW painting has taken a very low priority in my grand scheme of painting The Lead Pile.  Looking back at the Painting Log, two squadrons of Austrian cuirassiers mustered out in April of this year.  Nothing else has crossed the painting desk in nearly two years.  That inertia may change.  
The recent SYW Mollwitz game provided inspiration to put a handful of SYW figures into the painting queue.  Mustering out from the painting desk are two squadrons of Eureka 18mm horsemen.  The dozen figures called up are two squadrons of the Austrian Serbelloni Cuirassier Regiment.  Two squadrons of the Serbelloni Regiment have been fielded before and this is my attempt to bring the regiment up to full strength.  While six squadrons are the official compliment of squadrons, four squadrons will do for now.   
As mentioned above, these are the first 15/18mm figures to cross the painting desk in a long time.  I need to get more of the 15/18mm projects into the painting queue.  Perhaps that can be a 2018 goal? As a start, two battalions of Austrian Grenz for the 1799 project are at work on the painting desk.  A small step forward...

28 comments:

  1. Very nice work. I have a few squadrons of Russian Curassier on the painting desk as well. Mollwitz was definitely inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Gaming is a good painting motivator either before or after the game.

      Delete
  2. Nicely detailed painting for 15mm/18mm units. At first glance I thought they were 28mm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Peter! The Eureka horses are certainly long-legged, are they not?

      Delete
  3. Very nicely done, they look disciplined and superb!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely cuirassiers, can't beat them especially wearing tricorns!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tricornes are hard to resist! I appreciate your comment, Iain.

      Delete
  5. Well done! Eureka makes some very nice figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated! Eureka are my favorite 18mm SYW figures.

      Delete
  6. Ohhh, these are beautifully done. I'm counting moustaches.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look excellent, Jon! I enjoy moving between scales myself. It always seems to re-energize me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Scott!

      Have you ever required re-energizing with respect to painting productivity?

      Delete
    2. Does your answer change if you were painting only for yourself?

      Delete
  8. Assyrians, Austrians, almost the same thing, just a few letters different! :-)
    They look very nice, and a game planned or played certainly is a frequent motivator of painting production in my case.
    One thing... it may just be the lighting, but the faces look somewhat pale to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a discerning eye, Peter. The faces do look a little pale in the photo. Part may be due to lighting but my hunch is that it is due to a new tin of Minwax stain. The new tin has a thinner consistency and a little less pigment than the old tin. I must take more care next time.

      Delete
  9. Very nice and I am a big fan of the horse-to-horse/shoulder-to-shoulder basing you have used here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a grand looking unit, Jonathan. I like the denseness you have achieved with the basing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy to see this unit: seems I'm always running across the Serbelloni Cuirassiers in OOBs and SYW wargames: must have quite a unit history!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Serbelloni must have a storied regimental history. Perhaps I ought to investigate?

      Delete
  12. Very nice cavalry, Jonathan. Once again, I thought they were 28mm at first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dean, I always appreciate your kind encouragements. So glad you returned to the blogosphere!

      Delete