Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Heavy Horsemen for the Reconquista

After four units of Assyrians finished and mustered off the painting desk, my eye is drawn to five large chunks of lead from BTD.  These big pieces of metal are armored knights on big horses.  With barding, the horses look formidable.  Actually, given the size of BTD cavalry, horsemen are formidable in all permutations.
This stand of five deploys as an Impetvs-geared heavy cavalry or CP.  The heft of these figures combined onto one large base is impressive.  When they take the field, the Moors should tremble.
I gave them all a similar red motif with variation among the knights limited heraldry and attire.  Smart looking bunch.  I hope they can fight!  
The painting queue keeps serving up 25mm figures despite my efforts to get a battalion or two of 1799 Grenz onto the workbench.  Next off the painting desk is likely a nine-figure stand of crossbowmen for the Great Italian Wars project.  Unless, of course, I finish off the Assyrian mounted archers first.

32 comments:

  1. An impressive looking cavalry unit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like those. They just scream out 'Heavy Horse'.
    I can well imagine the weight of the based unit ... it makes me feel all happy inside, strangely. If only combined weight equated to tabletop glory :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You certainly know it when you plop these guys down on the table. They don't easily move during gaming shuffle either.

      Delete
  3. Very smart indeed, Jonathan. i am sure they will do you proud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they perform well when not in opposition!

      Delete
  4. I'm really impressed with your steady production (of very well painted units!). Are we seeing these projects in "real time" as you complete them? Either way: super!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ed, the figure displays on the blog are near real time. After a unit is finished, I snap a photo and make an archival entry on the blog.

      Delete
  5. Impressive looking unit. Plus I agree with Ed the volume vs quality output rate puts me to shame!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking unit Jonathan!
    fantastic unit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful unit, awesome colors...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely looking heavy horse , big men on big horses! Looking forward to Italian wars crossbow men too.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These five are indeed Big Men on Big Horses! BTD would have it no other way.

      Glad you approve, Iain!

      Delete
  9. Good looking group. I like the red, makes them stand out well. It occurs to me that in my entire Reconquista collection I only have cloth barding for the Knightly orders. Perhaps I should change that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only a few of my heavy horse have the barding. The ones that do, stand out on the table.

      Delete
  10. Lovely work.......sounds like your painting queue is a bit like mine..😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Matt! My queue is seemingly never ending.

      Delete
  11. Heavy horse always tip the table to your favor. Literally.

    Tichy@landandnavy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent detail and finish on these. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Darren! Having horses draped in cloth speeds up the painting process. I think the barding makes a horse appear even larger that it is.

      Delete
  13. Very nicely done, Jonathan. I like BTD Medievals!

    ReplyDelete
  14. They are quite splendid, Jon! BTD cavalry are all very "heavy"; no wonder they usually aren't part of the sales!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When BTD do put their cavalry on sale, I tend to buy everything I "might" need. My cav purchases may impact their bottom line!

      Delete