Monday, September 19, 2016

Mounted Arquebusiers

Casting Room Miniatures (an arm of Wargames Foundry) recently offered a 20% discount.  Having never given them much notice, the offered discount, favorable exchange rate, and free shipping were too much to resist.  Frequently on the look out for Reconquista, Great Italian Wars, and Trojan War era figures, I found all available at Casting Room.
Figures do not maintain the same crispness of sculpting as other Foundry figures.  Some, as in the arquebusiers shown here, have arms seemingly too rounded at the joints.  Anatomy appears a little "off" on some figures as well especially in facial features.  Could be simply my personal preferences in sculpting style coming to the fore.
Despite these few caveats, the trio of mounted arquebusier look very good to me.  The horses, themselves, match up very well with both Foundry's Renaissance horses and Perry's Stradiots.  Besides the mounted arquebusiers shown here (and a second trio to be fielded later), mounted Norman knights and Trojan chariots were added into the order to reach the ever important free shipping minimum order value.

26 comments:

  1. I can't see much wrong with the figures Jonathan?........it must be you lovely paintjob hiding it all??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right! They are good figures! As always, Ray, you are very kind.

      Delete
  2. Great looking Mounted Arquebusiers Jonathan, highlighted by the base...excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like both figure and base! Much appreciated.

      Delete
  3. Great painting and the figures themselves look fine, I to have never given much consideration to Casting Room but recently I've been looking at their Napoleonic Portuguese and I may have to dip my toe.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Steve! As mentioned in my post, several other offerings were picked at the same time. I look forward to giving them a smack with the brush.

      Delete
  4. Lovely work Jonathon! I hav looks at these figures many times. I may have to bite!
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Peter! Do give them a try. Taken on sale and with free shipping, they represent good value.

      Delete
  5. Nice looking unit, they are maybe a bit stiff but you've done a lovely job on them.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain! Yeah, a little stiff looking but a nice a addition to a mix of manufacturers for the project.

      Delete
  6. They came out fine, and an essential troop type for t\he Great Italian Wars./ I do see what you mean; to me the arms are too thick compared to the torso, and lack detail/definition. Having said that, they are perfectly serviceable and no one will notice from more than a foot away! Nice paint job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appreciate your critique, Peter. Of course, I agree!

      Delete
  7. Great paint jobs Jonathan, they fit the bill well for mounted arquebusiers - there arent'many suitable figures out there for them.
    I have been tempted to have a look at their Landsknecht Archers (odd I know) to use for early Tudors, I may give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Oli! Glad you find the Casting Room figs agreeable. Perhaps make a small order from them as a test?

      Delete
  8. Lovely mounted arquebusiers Jonathan! Casting Room Miniatures do have some great ranges.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another great looking unit, I have the same pack waiting for some paint as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I await seing your results. Better yet, I look forward to facing your collection in battle!

      Delete