Monday, February 8, 2016

Russian Artillery - 1799 Project

Keeping to a 1799 project theme, up today are four Russian guns and crew.  The models are a mix of two manufacturers.  The guns are supplied by AB Miniatures while the crew are Eureka 1806 Saxon artillery with the plumes snipped. 
To me, the Saxon gunners look close enough to be pressed into service as Russian artillerymen during the Swiss and Italian campaigns.  I actually like the Saxon gunners quite a bit.  More will need to be ordered.  In addition substituted as proxies for Russian gunners, I plan to use the Eureka Saxon infantry as Piedmontese foot and some of the cavalry as earlier French.  With hussars in mirliton, the Saxons will be perfect for the earlier French light horse.  I think the Saxon heavy cavalry can be utilized as French heavies.  As expected, the AB guns are brilliant.  The four guns are a mix of 6 lb and 12 lb artillery pieces.
Although a few guns have been added for the project, more with be needed.  For now, though, the second arm has seen some activity.  Cavalry for the project is woefully under-represented in the collection.  That shortfall will be addressed once I clear the painting desk of a few more items. 
12 lb guns
6 lb guns

19 comments:

  1. Very nice, Jon. The earlier wars of the Republic have plenty of colorful and interesting uniforms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite right, Peter! Besides, after years of painting Napoleonics for the major campaigns, it is fun to paint Napoleonics set during a less gamed period.

      Delete
  2. Great looking artillery, Jonathan. I agree with Gonsalvo about this era.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Impressive and beautiful artillery, well done Joanthan...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking set of artillery Jonathan!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loveley work Jon, and a nice plain grey backdrop for the photo! Did you invest in a lightbox, looks very pro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soren, you are the first to comment on the change in backdrop. Your have a good eye. It is a lightbox that my wife gave me for Christmas. I have been using it for more than a month and like it quite a lot.

      Delete
  6. Lovely artillery unit I like the restrained uniforms
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had not noticed the light box. Nice addition, it really makes these guns pop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The light box does provide a different feel to the photos. I like the results!

      Delete
    2. Yes, I am thinking it might be time to replace my Bavarian countryside

      Delete
    3. Your landscape background is quite nice. If you are thinking of a light box, I can provide details on the one I chose.

      Delete
    4. you bet, email me the details if you don't mind.

      Delete