Saturday, September 13, 2014

SAW U.S. Volunteer Infantry in 25mm

Painting progress continues on with the Americans for the Spanish-American War project.  Saturday's output sees the first of the U.S. Volunteer Infantry.  These fifteen figures comprise half a bag of Old Glory figures.  The other half bag is on the painting desk undergoing a similar treatment.  This unit, like its Regular infantry before it, are awaiting the issuance of colors.  

While still early on in the project, attention will need to be turned towards rules.  My current inclination is to dust off Fields of Honor and give them a few trials.  Fields of Honor contains basic armies for many of the 19th Century conflicts.  Unfortunately, the SAW was not one of them.  Still, I should have the data needed to construct the combatants.  I have many fond memories of playing FoH years ago and still remains one of my favorite colonial rules.  Today I rarely see the rules mentioned.  I will set forth the basic mechanisms of the rules in a later post. 

12 comments:

  1. Did Shane Lacey Hensley write Fields of Honour?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice indeed - love those ranger hats! Would be great with a little introduction to FoH - do they contain lists for any European conflicts or only colonial wars?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan to work on an overview FoH piece highlighting some of what I enjoy within. Most of the 19th Century European conflicts are covered in the rules. So, not only colonial wars.

      Delete
  3. Great paint job...and beautifl bases!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love 'em, Jonathan! I can hear Kate Bush's Running up that Hill as they muster out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Monty! You always have a musical reference at hand. I did not know who Kate Bush was until now! After a bit of searching, discovered Benatar's Wuthering Heights from Crimes of Passion was a Bush cover. I usually skip that track on that LP.

      Delete
  5. The Spanish-American War seems to have played a significant role in more thoroughly reintegrating the country in the aftermath of the Civil War. Good looking troops. "Remember the Maine!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reintegrating the country, yes, as past enemies were once again comrades in arms against a common enemy. In the army, men still fought in segregated units.

      "...And To Hell With Spain!"

      Such jingoism. Having recently finished reading Roosevelt's Rough Riders, I was struck by how some attitudes towards war have changed in the intervening 116 years yet many remain to this day.

      Delete
  6. Nice looking troops and basing, Jonathan. I like this range from OG. I'm sure you'll have no problems coming up with the stats for these troops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dean! As I have mentioned before, Old Glory's SAW range is one of their best. Since most of the weapons (or similar) are contained in the Appendix, I should be able to make do.

      Delete