Monday, September 8, 2014

Hey! Why the Silence?

It has been quiet around here.  Why?  Well, I spent the last week plying the waters of Southeast Alaska exploring the towns, fjords, and glaciers of the region and learning a bit about its history and culture.

On the wargaming front, my intention was to work on a rules review while away but that goal came to naught as I was quite occupied with activities at hand.  I did manage to read Theodore Roosevelt's gripping account of his exploits during the Spanish-American War in Rough Riders.  What an enjoyable and fascinating read!  I return rejuvenated to press on with the Span-Am project.

Before heading for home, we stopped in Victoria, Canada for one evening.  One objective was to revisit Miniatures World adjacent to the magnificent Empress Hotel.  I last visited Victoria and Miniatures World about 20 years ago so I was due for a memory refresher.

Miniatures World houses a display of dioramas some of which are military themed.  Many of the displays were familiar and brought back fond memories of my earlier trip but new exhibits were on display as well.  With battlefields in miniature, model railroad displays, miniature operating sawmills, dollhouses, and more, there is something of interest to almost everyone.

A sampling of the exhibits follow:














Normal activities resume and a Two-Year Blog Anniversary contest is in the works.

20 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing these wonderful pics, love the bridges!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, a wonderful exhibition! Great impressions you have from Alaska, I guess - I am in awe!
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a quirky exhibit with a lot of variety. Something of interest for the whole family.

      Delete
  3. Fascinating exhibit! By chance, were they looking for contributors? ;-)

    A trip to Alaska would be a treat as well. Welcome back, world traveler!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monty! It certainly is an interesting exhibit. Maybe it is not obvious from my photos but many of the military exhibits lean towards the Old School painting style. Very simple but en masse, effective.

      As for contributing to the collection, that I do not know. Your painting would definitely eclipse much of what is in the museum. Maybe a group of wargamers could contact the museum and offer to put together a display? That would be an interesting undertaking, wouldn't it?

      First time to Alaska for me. Scenery is spectacular although I saw no bears in the wild. Whales, dolphins, and hundreds of salmon, yes but no bears.

      Delete
  4. Some great pics, thanks for sharing. I'm Canadian and I didn't even knew about that place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Iannick! Since it on the backside of the Empress, it may not get many visitors although I bet it is a favorite field trip for schools.

      Delete
  5. Great pics!
    I'll have to remember this as a side trip when I do eventually visit Alaska (my older daughter was just there via cruse ship in July with her husband's extended family).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly worth 30-45 minutes while in Victoria. With the Empress next door, your wife could shop or take High Tea while you study the dioramas.

      Delete
  6. Absolutely charming museum - personal favorite; The Battle o Britain! Very nice work on that medieval town on the river too. Alaska - you lucky devil. It's been really well promoted here in Europe by different shows on Discovery etc, and the nature/scenery is just amazing. Good thing you're back in one piece, with the Grizzlies and all ;0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Speaking of grizzlies, the guides provide bear identification tips and bear interaction deterrents.

      When in bear country, one should always tie bells on to make any bear aware of your presence and a whistle to discourage a bear from attacking. As a last resort carry pepper spray.

      So, when you come upon bear poop on trail, how do you identify if it is a black or brown (grizzly) bear? If the poop has bits of berries, leaves and smells fruity, it is from a black bear. If the poop contains bells and whistles and smells of pepper spray, it is from a brown bear!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Indeed! The circus with all of its color is especially eye-catching.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for sharing, pics look awesome

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Jonathan:
    An Alaskan cruise is on my family's list of desiderata, certainly.
    I haven't been in Miniatures World in Victoria since the 1970s, when I was a kid. It looks like they've changed things, because I remember it as being rather dark and disappointing. I did my undergraduate in Victoria and have fond memories of the place.
    MP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, your memory does not fail you! The museum is not well lit and for the most part, painting quality definitely leans towards the Old School style.

      Delete
  10. What a great spectacle Jonathan! I'd like to visit Alaska someday!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christopher, it is a surprising exhibit to find in Victoria. Alaska is quite rugged and beautiful and certainly worth the trip.

      Delete